Skip to main content

photo Koch_zpsc4e338d7.jpg

David De Jong, of Bloomberg.com announces the news that the Koch Brothers Net Worth Tops $100 Billion as TV Warfare Escalates.

"Spread the word! Billionaires of lessor means take heart. Hope exists that if you too just work harder, and apply yourself with more discipline, your net worth could top $100 billion, as well. Or, as it happens in this case, the Koch brothers picked up a couple of extra billion dollars  due to a one quarter surge in industrial production because several hundreds of millions of other Americans worked harder boosting GDP more than expected.

Charles and David Koch, the billionaire brothers who run Wichita, Kansas-based Koch Industries Inc., added $1.3 billion to their collective fortune yesterday on reports that U.S. industrial production gained more than forecast. The surge elevated their net worth to more than $100 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaire's Index.

The Koch brothers don't actually work, but rather contribute by being  role models for poor people, to remind us of what their our lives could be like if we only were not so selfish, slovenly, and rife with character flaws, as to continue our selfish choices to be be poor, and thereby burdening the morally superior, hard working rich people with our upkeep. By a combination of virtuous living, and having the good sense to chose to be rich, rather than poor, they set fine examples for all of us by their sheer existence.

I wonder if there is any chance we could convince them to establish an educational foundation to fund a new reality channel so we could follow them around 24 hours a day, seven days a week so we could witness the level of virtue that must be involved in generating this magnitude of wealth. We might have a solution for the problem right here, folks. Perhaps, poor people can't even imagine it because some of us just haven't seen it before. I'd like to watch them sleep to see what it looks like to make $5 million while you are sleeping for six hours. This might be the very thing that would make me want to work harder to support such a wonderful system as such as we have that could create such an astonishing feat. (Sarcastic undertones alert!)

Oh, yes I forgot to tell you one of the other ways the Koch brothers help our America, so I shouldn't be saying they aren't actually working. They also give out vast sums of money to convert democracy to oligarchy. Sorry, I sort of drifted off for a moment while suckling on the tits of the vast welfare state that is America. (Double Metaphorical Allusion Alert: "You'll have to pry my cold dead fingers of my guns," - Charelton Heston, and "Suckling on the Welfare "teets" - Paul Ryan: Caution: This is only a Metaphor Kids - Responsible progressive writers like The HoundDog do not Write Under he Influence, WUI, Also, do not try Double Mixed Metaphors at home or in school - HoundDog is a trained professional.) Back to our story, dang, this working can be so distracting for us poor, bad people. Why are we like this?

The Koch’s ascent comes as Freedom Partners, one of their fundraising networks, last week aired its first batch of television ads targeted at this year’s U.S. Senate races, including commercials knocking Democratic Senator Mark Udall of Colorado and Representative Bruce Braley of Iowa for supporting President Barack Obama’s health-care law.

“The Koch brothers are pouring millions into this,” Chris Harris, a campaign spokesman for Senator Udall, said in an e-mail yesterday. “They’re only fighting for their own interests, not Coloradans’. Mark Udall has a long record of fighting for the middle class and stops at nothing to protect Colorado’s special way of life.”

And, one of the most important aspects of Colorado's "special way of life," would seem to be having 46 million plus poor and middle class Americans, and their children, not have health insurance.

The Koch brothers are funding a large and escalating TV ad war intervening in the Iowa and Colorado political contests to throw out Democrats, and those left leaning RINO Republicans who don't fully embrace the true conservative agenda. One of their political action groups called Americans for Prosperity is specially targeting Democratic candidates who supported the Affordable Care Act.

To understand more about the messages these billions are buying, let's watch as James Davis, a spokesperson for Freedom Partners ays.

“These professional politicians claim to be standing up against health insurance companies while pocketing money from their political action committees and company executives ... It’s hypocritical -- while health insurance companies stand to see massive financial gains from the health-care law, the rest of America is left paying the bill.”

photo Koch2_zps8fe5dd73.jpg

Dang, we're going to have to work harder fellow Democrats. Now that Governor Chris Christie true character has been successful exposed to the American people and we can put aside any more talk of his possibly beating Hillary Clinton, Senators Elizabeth Warren, or Bernie Sanders or whomever should turn out to be Democratic nominee, I was planning to go back on vacation which I haven't really fully enjoyed after burning myself out on the 2012 election.

In fact, my plan had been to take off until 2016 and let some of you younger Democrat pick up the torch and burden of fighting these eternal election battles. After a quick pre-departure survey of the landscape, however, my fear is we may need all the troops we have on the front line fighting what almost be a lost stand for the America values and constitutional form of government that we have evolved, and that once was such an inspiration to so many around the world.

Maybe it still is, I haven't really heard a whole lot from my friends around the world once word got out that the NSA has been recording every single word of every single phone call, text message, and email. I've known this for a very long time. The CIA has had this responsibility since I can remember, but they used to be discrete about it.

Whatever that's a different story. I hate to say this but some of us who were hoping to be lazy may just have to look to these Koch brothers as inspiration for why we should choose to be hard working, good rich people, rather than lazy, bad, poor people.  (Humor alert.)

Time to get to work folks. The party is over. You've had your fun. Election time is coming and our opposition is already in high gear spending the big bucks. What are we going to do to respond?

7:09 AM PT: Made minor clean up edits when post made rec list., and moved first quote up three paragraphs.

I made a promise to myself if the average number of recs and comments received for posting falls below the total number of minutes I put into writing posts for more than 5 in a row, I'd find a different hobby and way of contributing to progressive causes. Expected response to my attempts as mixing humor and reporting real news, in this case with sarcastic undertones has been so poor I didn't expect more than 15 responses. Thanks for the encouragement. These are my favorite kind of articles to write, but usually are totally rejected here to the point I have "Bob Johnson Envy." so bad I almost prematurely withdrew from this whole blogging thing. It's really hard to stay motivated when the community comes down so hard on ones every comic effort. Thanks for this exception.

Originally posted to HoundDog on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 05:48 AM PDT.

Also republished by And Now for Something Completely Different , Hydrant, and ClassWarfare Newsletter: WallStreet VS Working Class Global Occupy movement.

Poll

Does this article about the Koch brothers earning an extra $1.2 billion last quarter due to an unexpected surge in industrial production inspire you to stop being selfish and continuing to chose to be poor, lazy, and bad?

27%30 votes
6%7 votes
4%5 votes
6%7 votes
8%9 votes

| 111 votes | Vote | Results

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  Wikileaks the formula (8+ / 0-)

for turning seawater into fuel.

Overnight their fortune will evaporate, as most of it is in petroleum.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --M. L. King "You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 06:55:27 PM PDT

•  I though it wasn't the formula but the amount (6+ / 0-)

of energy required to do it. Having the spare power from a nuclear reactor on an air craft carrier makes certain problems easier to solve. But yeah, they'd take it in the shorts if oil prices fell by 50%.

GOP 2014 strategy -- Hire clowns, elephants, and a ringmaster and say "a media circus" has emerged and blame Democrats for lack of progress. Have pundits agree that "both sides are to blame" and hope the public will stay home on election day.

by ontheleftcoast on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 07:18:49 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  zenb - we are a long way from turning (2+ / 0-)
      a2nite, HoundDog

sea water into fuel. Fossil fuels will provide most of our energy for another generation. I have been following and investing in alternative energy since 1988. A great deal of progress has been made in non-fossil fuel energy, the most dramatic is the very low price of solar panels which has made solar more cost competitive.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 10:34:02 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  About a year ago I published on report claiming (4+ / 0-)
        OleHippieChick, elwior, unfangus, kurt

the cost of the PV panels alone had dropped over 80% in the previous 5 years, So that now the installation costs are often more expensive than the panels themselves.

That's also how Sylindra got bonked. The prices their five year plan were build on collapsed in the first year. It was a superior technology that never got off the ground.

"Seriously, Folks, WTH?" - ("What the Heck? "h/t Joan McCarter, Seriously, Florida. WTF?)

by HoundDog on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:13:47 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I was a seed round investor in Sun Power in '88 (2+ / 0-)
          elwior, kurt

and Sylindra pitched me several times during its development. The Company had a syndicate of very well regarded investors, but I never saw the sustainable competitive advantage and never invested. Panels are now about 30% of the all-in cost of a commercial or utility scale solar installation. I think it is somewhat similar for residential. At the moment I am focused on inexpensive power storage and technologies that make already installed commodity solar panels more efficient.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:31:30 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  The hype for solar is-/wasn't there, either. (1+ / 0-)
          elwior

I'm a Floorduhn. The entire state should run on solar and stored solar and wave power. We are such a bunch of stunods. Resistance is futile. Nuke plants all over the place by all great rivers like the northward-flowing St John's and on the ocean. Nuts. Nuts. Surrounded by nuts. All the nuts roll south.
          And they're pissed off because the panel installs cost more than the product? Fn jerks.
          I just had my babydoll 97 Acura fixed. Parts and labor were about equal, totaling $2200. If the parts were cheaper, would I bitch about it? I don't think so.
          It's just getting people off their zeal to play their part (rube) in the shakedown.

"He went to Harvard, not Hogwarts." ~Wanda Sykes
          Teh Twitterz, I'z awn dem.
          Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.

by OleHippieChick on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:40:31 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  And yet there are some dirt covered morans (11+ / 0-)

in rusted out pickup trucks who think someday they'll be as rich as the Kochs so we have to keep taxes at the lowest level in 60+ years.

Ain't America great?

by ontheleftcoast on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 06:58:07 PM PDT

•  Yes. Now is his kind of thing called a poignant (2+ / 0-)
      ontheleftcoast, elwior

irony or an ironic poignancy?

by HoundDog on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 07:31:07 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  HoundDog - Kock Brothers Bill and Fred Jr (3+ / 0-)
        a2nite, HoundDog, AlexDrew

may not work, but David and Charles run Koch Industries as operating executives. They certainly have the money to pay professional management to run company, but instead have key operating roles. When they inherited the company from their father is was worth less than $2 billion. The value of Koch Industries hasn't increased 50X by David and Charles spend more time at the beach.

None of us like their politics, but the two top executives at Koch are not part of the passive rich.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 10:40:57 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  None of us likes their economic (3+ / 0-)
          ChemBob, OleHippieChick, elwior

"policies" either, I hope...

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:31:46 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I know VCLib. I was the owner, founder/ CEO (5+ / 0-)

of an INC 500 company I ran for 20 years, involving 18 to 20 hours workday 7 days a week, pretty much  360 days a year.

In this special case, I though artistic/comic license was sufficient to go along with the inspirational burst of paragraphs that came out.

My success with mixing snarky humor with real reporting is so bad here, - usually less than 10 responses, I figured this article was mostly for practice or as portfolio piece to some other outlet I might find -  like a modern day Mad Magazine, Onion, or really edgy hard-core leftist humor place.

So, I was okay with the trade-off.

I made a promise to myself that if the average number of recs and comments falls below the total number of minutes I put into posting for more than five in a row I'm finding a different hobby and way to contribute to progressive causes.

That's the main reason I dropped out in January of 2013 for year. I'm having fun here now so to avoid backing myself into a corner I'm trying not to spend to much extra time perfecting pieces I don't expect to get more than 10 responses to.

by HoundDog on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:22:50 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  HD - good to have you back (3+ / 0-)
            HoundDog, elwior, kurt

We don't have many current or former founder CEO/entrepreneurs of public or high growth companies. It's a voice we need more of here at DKOS. I think very few people understand what it takes to start and grow a successful business that can scale. While most of my career the past 30 years has been as an investor, I was the co-founder and CEO of the top performing biotech on the AMEX in 2000. As you note lots of 16-20 hour days. In addition typically 1,000 hours or more without compensation before you even have the resources to draw a paycheck.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:38:16 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Yes, it's a tremendous about of work. And if you (4+ / 0-)
              VClib, skepticalcitizen, AlexDrew, kurt

actually measured it by hours for most of my that part of my life I was probably working below minimum wage even though on paper my company was worth millions.

Sadly, I had some unfortunate health events poorly times with a bitter divorce with my ex-wife an about a 10 year probate battle, ending an a bankruptcy causing me to lose it all.

I'm rebuilding, and feel the entrepreneurial fires burning brighter. Yes, many have great misconceptions about the people who actually build businesses from the ground up, (as opposed to inherit them.)  I don't know much about the Koch brother's actual history. I'm starting to study it as I do think we should be as accurate as possible

One of greatest challenge as a people in the next century is to move beyond a simplistic "either-or" kind of thinking. One of my teachers many, decades ago, Dana Meadows who had endured a tremendous amount of criticism from her Limits to Growth book, and subsequant environmental modeling came to realize the importance of our mental paradigms.

She wrote one paper suggesting that capitalism, socialism, environmentalism, and technological optimism were all valid points of view of parts of a greater system, but that like the story of the five blind men and the elephant, until we can stand back, and integrate the valid parts of those perspective, and separate ourselves from the ideological places all can go wrong at, we will spend time fighting one another instead of realizing we are all on the some team and on the same "space-ship" earth.

Our field was a kind computer simulation of social systems based on feedback control theory and using numerical methods like Euler's routine, or Runge - Kutta to simulation the solution to multiorder non-linear differential equations.

The first model I worked after going to MIT as a special student to work with this group there was on a Food-Population Model that tried to represent each the core feedback structure crucial to each of these four paradigm, and integrate them as an educational tool to foster a higher level kind of discussion about how to achieve such an integration.

But, I came here 9.5 years ago, partially seeking refuge from that world which, during my medical and financial crisis were collapsing around me and I was struggling to raise my son as a half time parent in battles with my ex-wife.

So, I've never mentioned any of that here. But instead have tried to learn how to write and understand the mindsets of various elements of the political landscape that our original team of scientists were far to naive about, ultimately rendering much of our work then ineffective, at a political level.

Corporations loved it, for scenario analysis of "soft-systems's strategic issues, most of their quantitive people couldn't touch.  Some of also tap danced our way into the organizational learning movement.

One of my corporate mentors was the Global Strategy Coordinator for the Largest Corporation in the World at the time. His favorite motto was "the only sustainable competitive advantage you will ever get is developing he ability to learn faster than your competitors." We later added all the other stakeholders as well, customers, suppliers, the whole system.

Most of my business was flying around the world brining this methodology into companies and some governments, who wanted to accelerate learning as a competitive advantage.

At one point I was doing 160 to 180 client days mostly audience days, at $5,000/day and hauling crews of MBA and Phd around with me.

I've thought about restarting that but am too burn out, and getting old for the rigors of that kind of travel (58). So I expected to come here, spend a year or two "mastering the internet" and "boom" be off again.

Sort of got distracted by the elections.

Thanks for commenting VcLib.

by HoundDog on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 08:09:12 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  They're clearly not just twiddling their thumbs-- (0+ / 0-)

and that's a real shame.

"David and Charles run Koch Industries as operating executives."
          Of course, these are the people who push the notion of "skin in the game". Most Americans literally have skin in the game, in the form of aches, bruises, blisters, burns, and even lost limbs. The only skin these guys have in the game is what they risk to paper cuts.

"The value of Koch Industries hasn't increased 50X by David and Charles spend more time at the beach."
          Of course not. They've also been able to spend a lot of money to buy a lot of the kind of help that very few people can afford.

Debating with a conservative is like cleaning up your dog's vomit: It is an inevitable consequence of your association, he isn't much help, and it makes very clear the fact that he will swallow anything.

by David Franks on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 08:06:35 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Here's what we do ... (7+ / 0-)

Don't get mad -- get organized!

Don't get mad -- get informed, get people registered.

Don't get mad -- Vote!

180 Bills and counting ... 27 passed so far
    by jamess -- Apr 14, 2014

Sooner or later were going to have to: Trade in those Carbon Footprints ...

by jamess on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 08:05:42 PM PDT

•  That Obama sure is making life hard (8+ / 0-)

for them billionaires, isn't he?

I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business.

by CFAmick on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 08:33:03 PM PDT

•  Time to go (4+ / 0-)

Stop Rush on them

•  Wealth on that scale is unthinkable (4+ / 0-)
    HoundDog, elwior, OleHippieChick, kurt

It comes down to basic  kindergarten social skills.
    Sharing the sandbox means redistributing the wealth.

If cats could blog, they wouldn't

by crystal eyes on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:03:52 AM PDT

•  How disgraceful! I'll bet they could provide (0+ / 0-)

shelter for most of this countries homeless, and still live high on the hog! And as landlords, they wouldn't lose a penny of their stash! Probably make them even richer! Wouldn't you think that would make them feel every bit as powerful as destroying a country does?

•  We should send them a nice card... (3+ / 0-)
    HoundDog, elwior, OleHippieChick

with postage due.

We have it within our power to make the world over again ~ Thomas Paine

by occupystephanie on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:04:19 AM PDT

•  Earned the Easy Way (4+ / 0-)
    J M F, HoundDog, elwior, OleHippieChick

Doing nothing in the businesses inherited or bought nor especially in the investments others make for them but in forming 'grassroots? orgs' of easy marks and buying politicians who then represent them, while hired? by the masses, to easily, very, make policies that bring in the hoards more to the vaults!

Oh and them where labor is being done are not only not getting respect in regular wage increases, even small, nor added benefits, added if they were getting any in the first place, are paying for All that infrastructure, more then roads and bridges, needed for the corporations and the wealthy to even exist!!

"If military action is worth our troops' blood, it should be worth our treasure, too; not just in the abstract, but in the form of a specific ante by every American." -Andrew Rosenthal 10 Feb. 2013

by jimstaro on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:20:30 AM PDT

•  If Conservatives (3+ / 0-)
      J M F, HoundDog, elwior

Ever get what they really want, a privatized government for profit, watch out ya all. It'll be huge and oh so much more costly!!

Frankly it would cease to exist, the masses won't have anything, even collectively, to keep it alive and functioning!!

by jimstaro on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:23:23 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Yep, we'll be down to just one multi- (3+ / 0-)
    HoundDog, elwior, OleHippieChick

trillionaire pretty soon. Maybe in my lifetime.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:30:18 AM PDT

•  Slackers. Gates Alone Was Worth 100 Billion (3+ / 0-)
    HoundDog, elwior, OleHippieChick

or close enough, maybe 20 years ago or so.

Imagine having to split it with that asshole who keeps nudging his finger over the centerline of the car seat proclaiming he's not touching you.

by Gooserock on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:37:09 AM PDT

•  So now they're worth the annual budget (5+ / 0-)

of South Africa. Last time I checked it was Chile.

Just can't understand why they have to take over our country when they could actually buy some others.

I live under the bridge to the 21st Century.

by Crashing Vor on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:39:37 AM PDT

•  talk radio been very good to us! (3+ / 0-)
    HoundDog, elwior, OleHippieChick

that has been their most effective weapon- for ALEC and GOP and their think tanks to sell their pro 1% propaganda and agenda and obstruction, and for creating ad managing made to order constituencies.

here's a look at how koch/walker used rw radio in 2010, revealed in the emails- http://www.dailykos.com/...

this has been happening all over the country to some degree or another on 1200 radio stations for 25 years- working for the kochs and the 1%

the rush boycott effort is the ONLY organized effort to challenge that advantage and it's very specific-

cut samson's hair with an expansion of activism aimed at destroying the talk radio monopoly megaphone and the kochs will fade away into their parlo(u)rs.

This is a list of 76 universities for Rush Limbaugh that endorse global warming denial, racism, sexism, and GOP lies by broadcasting sports on over 170 Limbaugh radio stations.

by certainot on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:41:44 AM PDT

•  Wealth Redistribution (3+ / 0-)
    HoundDog, OleHippieChick, kurt

An idea whose time has come.

"Political ends as sad remains will die." - YES 'And You and I' ; -8.88, -9.54

by US Blues on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:53:20 AM PDT

•  Thanks commenters and people who recommended (3+ / 0-)
    elwior, OleHippieChick, Nannyberry

this post. This is the first of my combined humor and journalism pieces to be well received, and this has done much to assuaged the deep bitterness and resentment I feel about it. (snark alert.)

by HoundDog on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:26:55 AM PDT

•  Compare/Contrast with Gates Foundation (2+ / 0-)
    HoundDog, kurt

Fact-Checking requested.

This is copy-and-pasted from the Gates Foundation website:
    Total grant payments since inception: $28.3 billion (1)
    Total 2011 grant payments: $3.4 billion(3)
    Total 2012 grant payments: $3.4 billion(4)

We all know that the Kochs spend trainloads of money to buy government.

Does anybody know if the Kochs are remotely as generous as the Gates, and if so can you provide reliable data?

•  How About Publishing A Diary Letting Us Ordinary (1+ / 0-)
    rocksout

folks know WHAT Koch Industries produces (so I can AVOID buying it)? I resent giving my money to scumbags that pollute the earth, bust unions, refuse to support raising the minimum wage, support odious laws like "stand your ground" through front groups like ALEC, and buy off our elected officials to keep their tax rates low (but push for austerity for the middle class and poor). If progressive and union households stopped buying the Koch brothers products, it  would put a nice big dent in their net worth.

•  Okay (0+ / 0-)

the coke brothers have more money.  They are not wealthy in some sense of the word.  I feel that I am wealthy although I am one of that 47%.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site